7.22.2005

Pinoy Blonde, the Conclusion

Well, my advocacy is shifting to the home video arena now that the movie I have been avidly plugging (and not just here on the blog) Peque Gallaga's Pinoy Blonde, has been rather unceremoniously yanked from movie theaters. I find its "passing" sad, especially since there were people out there who were more than willing to watch it, had it only been showing in theaters near enough to them.

I really don't pretend to know how film distribution works, but assuming the decision of putting this movie into theaters was that of the mall/cineplex owners, then I say shame on them for not having the balls to back this movie. The buzz factor in print and broadcast media for this movie was pretty prevalent, so you really wonder why no one seemed interested.

I also say, shame on us, the collective youth, for not giving this film a fair shake. I mean, how many of us lined up outside theaters on the first weekend of the latest Star Wars, Lord of the Rings or Matrix installments, the last of which turned out to be terrible? How many of us (again, the youth), waited for nearly a whole day just to get Neil Gaiman to sign our books/comics?

We clearly go to great lengths to pay homage to pop culture icons, and yet we cannot even take the initiative to kick-start our own! I guess the trouble with Filipino pop-culture is that it seems altogether devoid of any icon that we might want to identify ourselves with.

I take solace in knowing how well-received this movie was in the press. In the final analysis, it's the box-office take that determines whether or not a certain type of movie will get made again, but I really hope Gallaga, Tony Gloria and company do not lose hope.

I am already setting aside the couple of hundred pesos that the DVD of this movie will cost. There is no way I will pick up a bootleg copy of this film, because I WILL NOT SCREW THESE FILMMAKERS THE WAY THE GENERAL PUBLIC DID BY IGNORING THIS FILM.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

And I will borrow your copy when you're done.

2:57 PM  
Blogger banzai cat said...

I don't checking this out on DVD. Failed to see this in the moviehouse as too busy to go. Though imagine that, you could only see it at Gateway, Galleria and Megamall. And who wants to experience sticky floors at Megamall nowadays?

Btw, did you ever get to see La Visa Loca?

3:00 PM  
Blogger kong-chu said...

Hey Jim,

Cheer up. My entire family saw it. :)

8:51 PM  
Blogger kong-chu said...

P.S.

Megamall's newly renovated btw! And the first two Unitel films (Crying Ladies and La Visa Loca) were pretty good too, more masa in appeal though.

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home