7.09.2005

Pinoy Blonde

I have what might seem an unusual suggestion: let's all get together to watch a Filipino movie.

I'm sure you've all heard of/read of the rapid demise of Philippine cinema with some degree of indifference (I know I have). At the same time, efforts of some Filipino filmmakers whom I respect have come to my attention, such as the output of Unitel pictures, like the recent La Visa Loca, and the upcoming Pinoy Blonde. I honestly regret missing Loca, which was very well reviewed (although I've found that in this country, sometimes that means little), but Blonde is particularly attractive to me because of the director involved: Peque Gallaga.

Yes, if Philippine cinema is to have some kind of revival, I'd much rather have filmmakers like Gallaga, whose Oro, Plata, Mata was, to me, as harrowing as Schindler's List, and who is one of the few Filipino directors out there who puts a premium on both substance and style, lead the way. Shameless plugging, but there's really nothing in it for me.

I just think we can do our part to nurturing an industry that actually makes films and not the trash it's been doing for decades.

4 Comments:

Blogger banzai cat said...

Definitely going to check this one out. ;-)

4:27 PM  
Blogger Rhochie said...

Really? They're making good films here? Who'd have thunk it?

4:06 PM  
Blogger TC said...

Let's all watch Bikini Open, starring Franciene Prieto and Diana Zubiri!! Or is that movie over?...

4:26 PM  
Blogger kong-chu said...

Was able to catch it last night, in a rare pinoy "masa" fashion -- in a premiere night complete with the stars of the movie (and there were a lot!) walking down the "red carpet", fans ogling, cameras flashing. Its truly not your ordinary pinoy movie. Not pang-masa at all, actually. La Visa Loca and Crying Ladies (Unitel's first movie) were more pang masa (but were equally good films). So you ateneans can hold your head high when you walk out the theater after the show. haha, kidding.

yeah, I thik Jim would like it.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home