9.27.2005

Giving Up the Ghost?

One recent news item I found particularly strange was the one about BongBong and Imee Marcos trying to talk their mother Imelda out of burying the late President Ferdinand Marcos in the Libingan ng mga Bayani.

After the hell the Marcos family has raised over the late strongman's burial, it strikes me as more than a tad odd that they've given up the fight so easily. It's not that I'm a fan of Marcos, and I'll make it a point to leave out my commentary on that particular political figure, but what got my attention is the fact that I can't help but wonder if the Marcos kids are giving up this particular plum in exchange for something bigger.

Yes, I've unofficially joined the droves of conspiracy theorists who think that the Arroyo administration is secretly trying to woo the Marcoses to its side. While I, like many, find it strange that the Marcoses could even be considered such a significant political force after everything that's happened, it actually seems to be the case.

It's funny, a lot of the middle class were turned off by the opposition's rants against GMA because Imee Marcos was extremely prominent among them, but for some reason the press inexorably points to efforts by Malacanang to win the Marcoses over, as if by doing so they will somehow undermine the opposition. This just plain doesn't make sense. If Imee Marcos is pissing off the middle class, the REAL maker of Presidents as two EDSAs have shown, then why try to bring her over?

Going back to the burial, I can't help but shake my head at the rather abrupt 180 degree turn by the Marcos progeny, even as their mother fights on. It just spawns a heck of a lot of suspicion, is what it does...

Well, it could be just as my Tito said over dinner last weekend: what Imee and Bongbond REALLY want is to bury their mother, anywhere they can, right now. ;)

1 Comments:

Blogger Rhochie said...

I don't care much where they bury FM. I just don't like it when someone tries to 'rock the boat.' And right now, the opposition is jumping up and down on the bow, drilling through the deck, and throwing the oars overboard. *sigh*

Face it, everyone cheated. They just got out-cheated.

3:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home