4.10.2005

4J's Role in My Passing the Bar

When I first found out about the bar results last Friday, the temptation to write the Oscar speech I'll probably never deliver was awesome.

But I then got to thinking: the j-boys had a big enough role in my success in the 2004 bar exams to merit their own post. From that somber night on April 2, 2004 that TC, Bob and Jay converged at my place to help me drown my sorrows in booze to last Friday, April 8, 2005, when Theia and I met up with Tini, Jay, his brother Carlo, R-Jay, Rhochie, Joey, TC, Elena, and even Dino (!) 4j has really been a presence this past bar that helped spell the difference between a half-assed second attempt and a full-steam ahead, no-holds-barred assault on all eight subjects of the most important examination an aspiring lawyer will ever face. There are, truth be told, a lot of people to thank outside our circle as well, but the j-boys, in their own way, really came through for one of their own, I have to say.

I can even articulate exactly what it was that made the difference, because the same goes more or less for everyone in my immediate circle. You see, in 2003, for one reason or another it was some kind of given that I would pass the bar. It was a matter of course, an inevitability, and so on and so forth. There were well wishes all around, but for some reason I had managed to cultivate a myth of my academic invincibility and so no one really believed it possible that I could fail.

And so, when I did, it caught just about everyone (except, maybe me) off guard, and the net result was that when I fell (and fell hard), everyone gathered around to help lift me up. It was amazing. There weren't any more lame jokes about how, if my name wasn't on the list we would write it there. There weren't any more cliched, slightly patronizing remarks like "was there ever any doubt?" The possibility of failure, from being unthinkable, had transformed into a reality, and while it was my battle to fight (and win), everyone, 4j included, knew they would have to help out somehow. And, well, you guys did. The outpouring of moral support was pretty much astonishing.

Thanks for the booze. Thanks for the parties. THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME ONTO THIS BLOG, which really helped me blow off some SERIOUS STEAM in the last few months leading up to what now feels like my greatest personal triumph EVER. Thanks for everything, guys.

4J FOREVER!!!

9 Comments:

Blogger kong-chu said...

Hey Jim! Congratulations!!! :)
Sorry I wasn't able to join you guys last friday.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Hobbes said...

Congratulations as well, Jim.

Philip was there at your place too last April.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

well, there was never any doubt in my mind. congrats jim

10:39 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

What's this bar thing Jim keeps talking about?

11:11 AM  
Blogger Jim Arroyo said...

Thanks guys.

Well, I guess the remark about never having any doubt, per se, is not what's patronizing, etc., but the way it was delivered. When I told a certain someone about the results and he said that exact phrase, I felt a little slighted, as if he had made a molehill out of my mountain, and said "well, given that I'd already failed it once, yes, there was some doubt." Oh well...

Anyway, thanks all around, once more. The spirit of 4j triumphs again!

By the way, I think Vic Manlapaz also passed the bar. That means the "A" boys have two lawyers. One of us should get his butt into law school pronto! This is unacceptable!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

As a former A boy who used to want nothing more than to show up his former classmates, all I can say is this:
Who gives a damn about the A boys? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! We're 4J. We have nothing to prove, most especially to them.

We have an attorney and he's Jim Arroyo. I'd go to him than Vic Manlapaz or whoever else is a lwayer from A anyday.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

it was inevitable, mr. anderson.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Jim Arroyo said...

it's just as I suspected: there is no spoon.;)

8:10 PM  
Blogger TC said...

Is that why they all taste like chicken? :D

P.S.
Vic Manlapaz did not take the bar. That guy who passed was another Victor Manlapaz. So if Jay does go to Vic Manlapaz for legal advice, consider yourself insulted, Jim :D

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home