3.29.2005

HERE'S TO YOU SANDY

I was having breakfast today with my dad. As I was munching down on my high cholesterol breakfast of bacon and scrambled eggs, I looked up at my dad who was reading the editorial section of the paper when the headline screamed out at me: BLACK TO CALL SHOTS FOR BLUE EAGLES. Instead of spewing out my food in disbelief (it was after all a tasty morsel), I asked for the sports section and read the article.

Apparently, Sands was demoted to First Assistant Coach, much like Adonis Tierra in the PBA. I wasn't too surprised by the news. I had it on a reliable source that some of the players weren't happy with Sandy's system and a lot of the alumni were calling for his head after the Eagles fell in the semis.

Still, we have to give it up for our friend. He led the team to 7 straight wins to start the season. Three of them came, I should add, after losing their top offensive and defensive player. Fatigue and predictability came into play afterwards, but I remember beaming with pride everytime the Eagles took the floor, win or lose, simply because my friend was calling the shots from the bench.

It takes me back to the time when I first heard the news that Sandy was named Head Coach in the first place. I was doing my radio show one Sunday morning when the news arrived on my phone. First chance I got, I announced it to the world. Shouted it from the rooftops as far as Magic's coverage could get me. Afterwards, I was reprimanded for sounding biased towards Ateneo. My contention was that why shouldn't I have been. My friend was Head Coach of my alma mater's team. Good enough reason for me.

Sands, we got your back. There'll be more head coaching positions in your future. We'll still be there to cheer you on. Uso lang kasi imports ngayon e.

Win or lose, it's Sandy we choose!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim Arroyo said...

Damn! I read that headline too, but it didn't dawn on me until just now what it meant for one of ours. Well, I second the, uh, motion. Don't worry about it, Sandy. Your day will come (again).

5:34 PM  
Blogger banzai cat said...

Yeah that sucks. Though I heard about the rumblings to shuck Sandy, I think coming from the Ateneo alumni, even before pa.

As it was, I don't think the alumni were happy in Sandy's appointment to begin with e.

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's to you sands!

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home