3.06.2005

writing in blogs

reading joey's blog, someone commented:
"The problem is that you write too much about other writers"
well, the guy hit the nail on the head.
this is actually what i was trying to tell joe a long time ago but i wasn't very clear. when i first mentioned this, tc mistook it for an attack and curtly responded "then don't read it."
i was of course merely giving constructive criticism.
apparently jay t. thought i made the same comment about him but he's going to have to refresh my memory on that. the truth of the matter is i didn't get that directionless feeling from his, or anyone else's blog.
i've always known joey wanted to be a writer and i harbored the same feelings before i realized writing was a draining experience for me.
i felt the blog lacked a *personal* direction, and i wanted him to write something original. Some of the best stuff comes from the heart. or has some basis in reality, like characterization. When there's depth, one will have an emotional attachment. i guess i was looking for something real and not a dissertation on other writers' works. although i guess one does start somewhere. i recognize there are techniques to finding your voice and one of them is to borrow words ("Finding Forrester")
me? i still lack energy, inspiration, and patience.
there are topics that are on the back of my head but i fail to write them down. i would like to expound on them but i forget.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jim Arroyo said...

Hey, Ry, remember that comic book story I told you about that involved tricycle drivers and vigilantism? The one where you said I had my finger on the pulse of the nation? I've actually started writing it, although I've decided to go wtih prose instead...I'll send you a draft as soon as it's done!

I'll be interviewing an NBI agent this week to inject some authenticity into the whole thing.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

ryan, that guy who wrote that joey writes too much about other writers was me!

9:31 AM  
Blogger banzai cat said...

Thanks Ryan. :-)

I guess that yeah, it wasn't clear. Though I do appreciate your opinion on this. You do realize that if you had been clearer on that, I would have had an epiphany a lot sooner? ;-)

Seriously, thanks. :-)

11:57 AM  
Blogger banzai cat said...

Coolness, Jim. So when can we expect a copy? :-)

11:58 AM  
Blogger banzai cat said...

Last word in: hey Ryan, ever think of carrying a small notebook or using your Palm (or whatever gadget you have handy) to write the ideas down?

1:11 PM  
Blogger Jim Arroyo said...

My interview with the NBI guy is today...depending on how much I can get out of him, you guys might see a rough draft of this thing by the end of the year, if all goes well.

11:01 AM  
Blogger banzai cat said...

Excellent. :-)

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home