6.11.2006

Another Reminder of Why It's Great to Be a J-Boy

I can't remember exactly when it was, but about a year ago I wrote a post about the enduring camaraderie of the J boys. It had something to do with Allan Flores briefly reappearing in our lives before abruptly going his own way again.

Having moved to a new job recently, I've been happy to note that my new officemates are as a whole a lot friendlier than my former ones. I only just spent the whole day with them yesterday at a resort in Bulacan owned by the family of one of the female associates. I've known for a while now that they are every one of them consummate professionals, at the top of their games, individually and collectively, and I am humbled by the chance to work to them, but it took me by surprise to see how well they know how to enjoy themselves. It was truly delightful to spend a day with them in an atmosphere where we weren't talking about cases or pleadings or appearances or stuff like that. They are a fun bunch. My God, I've really lucked out with this job.

That said, being in such fine company only reminded me of how special time with the j boys (and significant others) is.

One can say I've earned the right to keep the company of these lawyers. We've all gone through the same thing, endured similar rites of passage and are all part of a larger confraternity by virtue of having passed the bar exams. I'm part of the firm because I have been perceived to possess a certain level of competence in the field of law. I guess it's fair to say I feel I deserve to be here, among them, but it's one thing to have worked hard to get somewhere, and quite another to be part of a group as accepting as the j boys.

I think about the sheer diversity our lives have taken professionally and personally and am awed by how we manage to get together every so often and celebrate our enduring friendship. We have all manner of professionals from completely disparate fields getting together in one place and all managing to have the best of times, with our only common thread being one of friendship. And there is such acceptance. One doesn't have to have passed a professional exam to be a j boy, or even have a college degree. That is a wonderful thing, because I'm starting to realize that to be able to just hang out with a group of people without the slightest hint of pressure to perform, to keep up to a certain standard, is one of life's greater joys. It's nice to sit with a bunch of people for hours and not talk shop. Not that talking shop is bad, and in fact when I'm around other lawyers it's nice to compare notes.

But it's something very unique and special to have friends without thinking, at the back of my mind, that in order to be able to keep the company of these people I have to continue to excel at what I do.

Yes, it's nice to be a lawyer at the firm where I work. I have really happened upon a special, memorable bunch of people.

But they will never be as special as the j boys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home